Wednesday, November 24, 2010

LOUD noises!

I consider myself to be semi independent, but lately I have enjoyed the company and support of my husband being at my appointments. So this past week when I had to drive to New Haven alone, I was quite nervous. He wasn't able to get out of work being that my appointment was so early in the day, no biggie since I was just going for an MRI anyways. I dropped the kiddos off, hopped in the car all prettified and blasted the music on MY station. Two little facts I will share. I LOVE to get all pretty. Wear a cute pair of shoes, nice pair of jeans, cute top, perfect earrings and do my makeup just so. Its very rare that I get to do this, so when I do, I feel fantastic. Its especially helpful to feel pretty going to appointments lately, not quite sure why, but it is! Now on to blasting music. Joey isn't in control of a lot in our household, but anything electronic seems to be under his command when he is home. He drives us everywhere, so therefore the rule is that he gets to listen to his station, classic rock...puke. Ive gotten used to it and like some of the bands, but to me listening to the same songs over and over gets BORING! I like all the new stuff, and when I drive, I love to sing. Hayden is hilarious when he is in the car because he tells me to "be quiet mom!" and I keep on singing louder :)

So anyways, I drove the hour or so to my appointment at the Smilow Cancer Hospital and was making such great time (NO, I wasn't speeding....too much) I even stopped and got gas. I arrived at the hospital a good half hour early and filled out the normal paperwork. A younger nurse came and got me and I changed in this little curtained changing area into a very stylish opening in the front gown, comfy grey socks and paper hospital pants. They are smart and had lockers available for you to put your stuff in and you take the key and put it on your wrist. I was taken by this same nurse into a little room where she pricked my finger to test my kidney function and told me to wait to have my IV done. I asked her what the IV was for (this was my first MRI) and she looked at me like I was a total retard! She said so they could give me a contrast....that was it. OK then, thanks for that great explanation! I simply assumed the name was self explanatory, and took note that she was my new least favorite nurse.

Another nurse came in and asked me which arm I would like to use. I pointed out a spot in my right arm where they have always had great luck with a certain vein. She felt around and insisted on using another one that she could feel better. She put it in and missed it so she continued to move the needle around. I finally screamed out in pain when she hit a nerve, or what I'm assuming was a nerve, because intense pain shot up my arm. She then gave up and used the one I told her to in the first place and got it right away. Needless to say I was NOT happy. We know our bodies, they need to listen to us! The reason I mention this is because its been 4 days since my MRI and I am having pain in my arm where she hit the nerve. I'm really hoping she didn't do any damage!

So now I was dressed in my stylish garb with an IV sticking out of my arm, but I still felt pretty! I was lead into the room with the huge MRI machine. Ive seen them on TV, but they are much bigger in person. The best part came when I had to open the gown and lie face down on this little platform thing where my boobs fit into these little holes and my head was placed on a head rest that reminded me of a massage table, but not as comfortable I'm sure. I was given earplugs and earmuffs and told that it would be extremely loud. I had a ringer placed in my hands up by my head just in case I needed anything. I lay there completely relaxed as they started it up. The platform I was on started moving up and into the MRI machine. It was quiet for a few seconds and then all of these random loud beeps and bangs began. The whole process took about 2o minutes or so of me just laying there listening to those lovely loud noises. Towards the end, the nurse told me she was going to start giving me the contrast through the IV. It was cold at first going into my arm and then all of a sudden my tongue got REALLY hot! It was the strangest feeling. After she was done and said the images came out fine, I was taken out. I got up feeling really woosey and disorientated. My eyes were also pretty blurry. She took out my IV and told me I was all set to go change. Not quite the experience I expected, but not bad at all really. I changed back into my regular clothes and went back home, feeling accomplished that I survived this appointment by myself just fine. Im not positive if I will be getting results as this MRI wasnt for anything specific. The surgeon wanted it as a reference for when I have surgery. The next appointment will be this coming Monday the 29th with the plastic surgeon, im really looking forward to some answers and insight!

No comments:

Post a Comment