Friday, January 28, 2011

An Angel

I have not been a very spiritual person ever since my mom died when I was 12. Up until then my family would go to church on Sundays and my sister and I to youth group on Wednesdays. I even went to church camp every summer through high school. Losing my mom was very hard on my family and we sort of all just “lost faith”. I do still believe and try to live my life in a way a Christian should, but its difficult. Through all of this, no matter how I have failed him, I believe God has had angels enter my life spiratically to let me know that he still has faith in ME.
 When I was leaving the hospital on Monday I met an elderly women. She was a volunteer from the boutique in the cancer hospital and had come to my room to fit me for a special camisole. She walked in my room with a huge smile on her face and greeted me as if I were her own grandchild. She asked me my name and why I had this surgery at such a young age. I felt she TRULY was interested in me and my story. I explained my loss of my mom and my family history. She went on to ask who my medical team was. I told her Grube and Fusi and she had a HUGE smile on her face. She laughed and said I was SO lucky. She had been working in the boutique and been seeing women for over 10 years and the best surgical team by far were the two that I had work on me. She got really close to me and told me she believed that I had a very special angel watching over me, my mother, and that she bet my mom was so proud of me for being so strong and courageous and proactive. I started to cry at the mention of my mother. It did make a lot of sense. Everything had fallen into place so smoothly and I had been so lucky to be stationed up here near Yale to have such a great surgical team. She hugged me and cried with me and told me what an amazing women she thought I was. How much courage it takes to go through something like this and how unselfish I was to put myself through so much physical and emotional pain, to be there for my family and see my children grow. This women made this intense sense of relief wash over me. I honestly believe SHE was my angel when I REALLY needed that boost of faith.

1 comment: