Thursday, January 27, 2011

I Did Wear Lipstick to My Mastectomy


My mind somehow woke me up at about 350am. 10 minutes until the alarm would sound for Joey and I to get up. I tapped him on the back to wake up and he went down to eat while I showered. I wasn’t allowed to eat anything the night before or morning of surgery due to the risk of it aspirating into my lungs during surgery. I took a very LONG hot shower. Shaved my legs and just basked in the warmth feel of the water rushing along my body. My normal body without scars, with normal small breasts and with my tummy that I say is left over from having kids ;) I washed my hair thoroughly and let my mind relax. I got out and blow dried my hair, put a little chap stick on and some lotion on my face. I got dressed in the outfit that I was to wear home after surgery. Granny panties (hot pink) a comfy pair of purple sweats and a purple and grey plaid button down shirt. Oh and you cant forget my zebra print bra. It was the last time I would get to wear that sucker for a while. I was really calm with a few butterflies, but I felt ready. I had probably over prepared, but honestly it was for my husband and not me. He is the kind of man that can NEVER find anything no matter if its in front of his face so I basically put everything in front of his face! Lol.

We arrived at the hospital and Joey parked the car in the garage after dropping me off to go check in. There will most likely be WAY too much information in these blogs to come, but I would have given anything to be told these kinds of details so I could’ve mentally prepared for everything. I had read a lot about how you want your bowels as empty as possible before surgery since the anesthesia and meds get you pretty stopped up. Imagine my excitement (yes EXCITEMENT) when I was able to go last minute after checking in. I even told Joey about the size with a big smile J

After checking in and going potty, we were told to go up the the 3rd floor where they would check me in at another desk and lead us to an ER type setting. Small little rooms with curtains separating them. There was a big comfy reclining chair for me and a very small hard one for Joey. I laughed because as we both sat down I sighed and he groaned.
A nurse came in with a sexy paper gown and cap and told me to change out of everything and put those on. She closed the curtain and I started doing a little dance and unbuttoning my shirt for Joey. Told him to say bye to the boobies one last time! I got all comfy and changed and took a picture with my lipstick on.  The nurse came in a put in an IV. Dr. Fusi then came in and pulled down the top part of my gown and starting marking all over my breasts. Showed me where the incisions would be over my nipples, drew a line directly down the middle in between them and where they pushed up and formed a curve at the top. He asked me if I was ready and I replied YEP with a smile and he said alright lets get this thing started. Next in came the anesthesiologist’s assistant who check my vitals and asked a few questions. The head anesthesiologist came and said I have a great airway…I asked him if this was jargon for I have a big mouth J

Then came the time for Joey to gather all of our stuff, and we headed down the hallway. I had to part with him near the waiting room and gave him a big hug and kiss, looking back as he walked away. The butterflies were finally starting to hit, but the nurse insisted I would get some good calming meds once they had me in the OR. We came to the door and she opened it up and we walked in. There were lots of people in surgical garb working busily all over the room. She announced that I was Gina and they all cheerily said hi. It was FREEZING in the room and I started chattering. She had me lay down on the operating table and I looked up into these HUGE round lights above me. They put compression things on my legs that squeeze your calves periodically to keep blood flowing to your legs and then she layed warm blankets over me. Meanwhile I was given some sort of calming medication in my IV and I felt so relaxed and no longer shaky and anxious. A breathing mask was put over my mouth and nose and I was told to breathe in deeply and I would start to feel a little sleepy. I do remember feeling sleeping, but not drifting off into la la land. Let the surgery commence.

No comments:

Post a Comment