Thursday, January 27, 2011

Pre Op with Fusi

This visit was a little different than the previous appointments. We made it what I will call a “family outing”. Joey got off work a bit early, we got Hayden from school, woke Kora from her nap and headed out to make it to to my 345 appointment. We like to make our long trips over towards the Dr, productive so we had planned on hitting up Red Robin and then doing a pre surgery Costco trip.
In arriving at Dr. Fusi’s the secretary tells me he is still in the back finishing up a surgery so the wait will be a little bit. No biggie, accept I was hoping we could keep the kids occupied that long. We sat in a waiting room in the hallway since spaces were already filled in the one in his office. Not long after we arrived, a lady sat down near me. She was probably in her 50’s and was wearing a very comfy fleece looking jogging type suite. Somehow we came to the “what are you here for” conversation, and realized that she had just had the same surgery I was going to be having, back in November. She was seeing Dr. Fusi that day to take out the remainder of her drains. The difference with her was she had found out she had cancer only in October so this was all very scary and happened quickly for her. She explained how she would have to go through several rounds of chemo as well. I strangely didn’t feel sorry for her, I could relate to the scariness of it all. Obviously I don’t have cancer and I don’t have to have chemo but cancer plays a huge role in both of our lives. We also ended up talking about a couple of adorable little girls she just got done fostering and had found a great home for. She even whipped out some pictures. They were so cute and had red hair! She said Kora reminded her of them. I went on to ask a few non invasive questions with her experience with the surgery. The most relieving thing I could have ever heard her say was Dr. Fusi is truly like an artist. When she was still recovering in the hospital and had nurses etc look at her wounds they immediately would know and ask if she had Dr. Fusi, because they know his work. Cant get any better than that!

When I was finally called back for my turn he went over what surgery we had talked about before. He was extremely apprehensive about adding the expanders which in turn would add another 3 hours to surgery. He explained that with so much risk for infection as it was, why add more. I told him that I wanted to be a small D, large C. The only problem he said with this was that the skin would not close back up all the way if they made me that big. We agreed on making me as big as the skin would allow and if I wasnt happy, he would be able to go back in later and add a small implant in a seperate surgery. That one of course would be nothing in terms of recovery time, relieving to say the least! I left the appointment feeling great. It was only a week until I would have this all behind me and be on my way to recovery!

No comments:

Post a Comment